Wednesday, December 20, 2017

The Life the Legacy of Mr. Walter Colvin







On Saturday October 21, 2017 my relationship with my best friend Mr. Walt took a big turn when without so many words he let me know that he truly felt like he was dying.  Between that point to his death on Friday December 8th we went from confirmation that he had stage four cancer, to a family meeting in which he and his wife Barbara Colvin informed us that he had maybe six months to live, to him barely having life in body after Thanksgiving.

Mr. Walt's last week and half of life to this past weekend was undoubtedly the most grief I have ever experienced.  I had the privilege of getting to know Mr. Walt very well due to our connection of my wonderful marriage of his youngest daughter Kayla of now 18 years.  All together I had a great relationship with Mr. Walt for over 20 years.  Mr. Walt was very passionate about giving advice as he long for 'young' people to succeed.  The purpose of this journal entry is to list the lessons I have learned from Mr. Walt based both in his guidance as the closest father I have ever had and his life in general.  These are principals that I will lean on and attribute then to his life:

- always save money

- get into a career that is steady and provides opportunity for advancement

- use your career to build wealth, i.e real estate being an example

- address the people sown in your life that are easy for you to neglect.  Go out of your way to love them and take the lead in helping them be accepted by the group

- use your God given leverage to help others arise to and above the status you have achieved

- get your house in order long before the doctor says to get your house in order

- people love a friendly smile and a friendly person

- love displays when one cares and ask about the uncommon interest of the other

- process grief don't stuff it or hold on to it.  Face grief head on then let it out but be sure to let it go

- being present counts, it counts for a lot

- home is special.  Make it special no matter what season you are in 

-  truly the greatest gift is to be loved and to give love

- partner with reputable construction vendors and write contracts with them that protect your interest of quality of work and staying on schedule 

These are the lessons I recall from my father thus far.  I will continue to up date this list as I can recall them. 

enclosure  

No comments:

Post a Comment